In Denver, What To Do When Your Ex Doesn't Follow The Guardianship Agreement

When parents divorce, one of the most important things they need to do is create a guardianship agreement that outlines who will have custody of the children and what happens if one of the parents doesn't follow the agreement. But what happens if your ex doesn't follow the deal is not always clear, and it can be challenging to know what to do. In Denver, you can take steps to ensure your children are protected. And this article will act as a guide on what to do when your ex doesn't follow the guardianship agreement.

What Is A Guardianship Agreement In Denver

If you and your ex have children, you may have had to create a guardianship agreement in Denver. This agreement sets out who will be responsible for the children if something happens to one or both of you. It can be helpful to have this agreement in place, especially if you are no longer together. If your ex does not follow the guardianship agreement, you can take steps to enforce it.

One thing to remember is that the guardianship agreement is not legally binding unless filed with the court. This means that if your ex decides to ignore the deal, there is not much you can do about it unless you take legal action. If you are considering legal action, you must speak with an attorney to help you determine your best course of action.

Enforcing a guardianship agreement can be difficult, but doing what is best for your children is essential.

What To Do If Your Ex Doesn't Follow The Guardianship Agreement In Denver

When one parent is given guardianship of a child, it is usually spelled out in a formal agreement what that entails. If the other parent does not follow the deal, some steps can be taken to enforce it.

If the other parent is not living up to the agreement, the first step is to reach out to them and get them back on track. If that doesn't work, then you can try mediation. If that still doesn't work, then you can go to court. The court will make a ruling based on what is in the child's best interest.

If you are in the middle of a custody battle, it is essential to have an experienced child custody lawyer on your side, like the ones from Johnson Law Group LLC. They can help you navigate the legal system and make sure that your rights are protected.

How To Get Help From The Court In Denver

If your ex doesn't follow the guardianship agreement, you can get help from the court. The court can enforce the contract and may also order your ex to pay any costs or damages you suffered because of the breach. You can file a motion with the court asking for these remedies.

To start the process, you must fill out some forms and file them with the court. The documents you need can be found on the Colorado Judicial Branch website.

You will also need to pay a filing fee. The fee depends on the case you are filing, but it is usually around $200.

Once you have filed the forms and paid the fee, you must serve your ex with copies of everything you filed. You can do this yourself or hire a professional process server.

After your ex has been served, they will have 21 days to respond to your motion. The court may grant your request without a hearing if they don't respond.

If your ex does respond, the court will set a hearing date. At the hearing, you and your ex will have a chance to present evidence and argue your case. The judge will then make a decision.

If the judge grants your motion, they may order your ex to pay your costs, damages, or both. They may also collect your ex to follow the terms of the guardianship agreement in the future.

What To Look For In A Child Custody Lawyer In Denver

When looking for a lawyer to handle your child custody case, it is essential to find someone knowledgeable in this area of law and with experience dealing with issues. Here are some tips on what to look for in a child custody lawyer.


The first thing to look for is experience. Not all lawyers have the same experience, so it is essential to ask how long they have been handling child custody cases. A lawyer who has been handling these types of cases for a long time will likely be more familiar with the law and the different aspects of child custody than one just starting.

Area of law

Another important consideration when choosing a child custody lawyer is their area of law. Child custody is a specific area of family law, and it is essential to find a lawyer specializing in this area. This way, you can ensure that the lawyer is familiar with child custody laws and knows how to represent your interests best.


Of course, the cost is always an important consideration when choosing a lawyer. Lawyers typically charge by the hour, so it is essential to ask about their rates upfront. In addition, some lawyers may offer a flat fee for their services, so be sure to ask about this.

How To Prepare For A Hearing In Denver

When you go to court, you will want to have all of your evidence ready. This includes copies of the guardianship agreement, letters or emails from your ex indicating that they are not following the deal, and any other documentation that supports your case. You will also want to be prepared to argue your case before the judge. This means rehearsing what you want to say and being able to answer any questions that the judge may have. Finally, dress appropriately and be well-mannered when you go to court.

Contact A Family Law Attorney In Denver, CO

When parents divorce, one of the most challenging things to deal with may be the issue of child custody. Sometimes, one parent may be awarded guardianship while the other is granted visitation rights. If you are a custodial parent and your ex does not follow the agreed-upon guardianship arrangement, you can take steps to get help. The first step is to contact an attorney who specializes in family law. They will be able to advise you on what actions to take and how best to protect your children's welfare. You may also want to reach out to a support group for divorced parents; they can offer invaluable advice and support. It's important to remember that you are not alone in this situation, and some people can help you through it.

If you're in Denver, CO, and you are dealing with an ex who isn't following the guardianship agreement, contact the family law attorneys at Johnson Law Group LLC. They have years of experience helping parents in these situations and can help you protect your rights as a parent. Contact them to schedule a consultation.